Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day Five - From the Grand Canyon to Lake Powell, UT (July 31, 2013)

I woke up.  I was sore, I was tired, I was miserable, I was in a black mood, and when I got up, I was walking funny because my calves were ruined for life, but nothing stops me from going souvenir shopping.  I made my way to the gift shop at the Bright Angel Lodge.  I actually went to the book store that was right on the rim to get the Death in the Canyon book.  Since I was almost their latest entry, I figured I wanted to see what could've (should've) killed me out there.

Then I went to the other shop in the Lodge itself and got a t-shirt, hat, socks, and a magnet.  Always got to get a magnet for the fridge.  They also had a special that if you spent over $50 you could get an Indian blanket for $25 so I got one of those, too.  I went back to the room to see if Steve and Michael were up.  Well, to see if Steve was up.  Michael rarely gets up voluntarily.  But they got ready and we went to the gift shop to browse again, checked out, and started our drive to Lake Powell.

We had decided to take our time getting there and not to rush too quickly from the Grand Canyon.  We stopped at quite a few of the lookouts including Navajo, Yavapai and Desert Tower Points.  We all agreed that Navajo point was the most beautiful.  Even over Lookout Point at Bright Angel. 


 

So what do you think? Nice, right?

Desert Tower

Okay, this is where the Europeans really started to annoy me.  There were these two VERY large and obnoxious Germans (ugly Americans, huh?) who were standing at the end of the point overlooking the canyon and WOULD NOT MOVE.  They were just jabbering on in German to each other. I must've waited there for ten minutes for them to take in their fill and MOVE ON.  They did not.  Steve said, "Come on, let's go to the tower" and I said very loudly, "I'm trying to get a picture from the point but NO ONE WILL MOVE."  Well, this American (who also had been there awhile) said, "Oh, sorry, it's just so beautiful.  Great view, huh?" And moved away.  I got my shots while the two sausage fed Europeans continued to hog their spot on the point.  How do you say, "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY" in German?

From Desert Point -- standing next to the Germans who never did move.

We walked up the tower, but the views were all behind glass.  You could not go out on the top.  Meh.  Nothing too great.

From there we moved on to Lake Powell.  We got there after 4.  The lake really was quite beautiful.

The houseboat capital of the world.




And the water was a perfect temperature.  Just perfect.  We decided not to waste any time since we only had one night here.  We took the 6:15 pm Antelope Canyon boat ride.  Since my calves were completely destroyed and would most probably have to be rebuilt from scratch and surgically implanted back into my legs, walking was quite the adventure the day after the canyon excursion. But a boat ride!  How perfect.  A leisurely boat journey on a placid lake.  That was just a perfect antidote to my sore, shredded legs.

Okay, WHAT THE HELL??  The boat was not moored right outside the door of the lodge, as I first imagined.  No.  It was DOWN (yes, DOWN) a 1/3 mile ramp DOWNHILL all the way to the boat.  DOWN.  As in using my calves to WALK DOWNHILL.  I was in mortal agony.  I was also the very last person to board the boat.  I walked as though I had a disability.  Which, I guess I did at the time.  And as such we missed our opportunity for seats on the upper deck.  Except for those seats that were FACING everyone else.  Like we had an audience.  And in the physical state I was in I felt like the Elephant Man.  I am not an animal!  I was not pleased.  My legs and my mood were matching, both were on very shaky ground.

Okay, I have to admit the boat ride was very relaxing.  The temperature was perfect.  The views were gorgeous and the sunset was spectacular.





Yeah.  It was that nice.  Okay, that alleviated SOME of the pain, but not all.  After all, once we disembarked I then had to walk the 1/3 mile BACK to the lodge.  But uphill was MUCH less painful than downhill so I wasn't the last one back.  That put a smiley face right back on me.

We went to the pizzeria which was part of the Lake Powell complex and pretty good pizza for dinner.  The stars here were not in abundance like the Grand Canyon.  Rather disappointing, actually. 

Tomorrow we do something water related since we are at Lake Powell!  What shall it be??

No comments:

Post a Comment